Call for Grand Challenges
The IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME) has been the multimedia conference sponsored by four IEEE societies since 2000. It serves as a forum to promote the exchange of the latest advances in multimedia technologies, systems, and applications from both the research and development perspectives of the circuits and systems, communications, computer, and signal processing communities. The theme of the 2018 conference will be “Data-driven Media Computing”, which plays a key role in modern multimedia technologies, based on which various sessions and events, in particular Grand Challenges, will be organized.
IEEE ICME 2018 Grand Challenges is an industry-sponsored program at the IEEE ICME 2018 Conference comprising multimedia-related contests. Each contest is organized by one or more industry sponsors.
The contests are intended to be challenging as well as entertaining, and may provide (cash) awards. Both individuals and teams are welcome to participate in the contests. Winners of each contest will be invited to participate in a final Grand Challenge presentation and award ceremony at IEEE ICME 2018.
IEEE ICME 2018 is inviting proposals for its Grand Challenges program. To submit a proposal for a Grand Challenge, please complete the form below, and submit it to the IEEE ICME 2018 grand challenges chairs.
Proposals should include a one page call for participation, including a Grand Challenge description, evaluation criteria, guidelines, and submission deadline. Challenges may be either soft (i.e., producing an output judged by humans) or hard (where the output is compared to ground truth). Examples of possible Grand Challenges:
- Estimate the geo-coordinates for each of a test set of images.
- Produce a panoramic image for a set of tourist photos of a place.
- Image retrieval: Produce an algorithm for rank ordering image search results.
- Social media prediction: Predict which images from a set, if posted to social media, will gather more “likes”.
- Grand Challenge proposal submission deadline: October 15, 2017
- Grand Challenge proposal acceptance notification: November 15, 2017
Suggested Dates ( to include the grand challenge papers into ICME 2018 proceeding )
- Grand Challenge Winner Paper submission deadline: March 26, 2018
- Grand Challenge Acceptance notification: April 23, 2018
- Grand Challenge Camera Ready Paper submission deadline: May 11, 2018
Grand Challenges Chair
|Challenge Description||[max 500 words + web site for further details]|
|Evaluation Criteria||[max 500 words]|
|Deadline of Submission|